1 Bowl Banana Bread (GF, Df, V) and 5 Flavor Upgrades
If you make one thing this week, let it be this banana bread. It's gluten free, nut free, dairy free, refined-sugar free, and could be made vegan. And as soon as you think it doesn't get better, it does... because this heavenly loaf requires just 10 minutes of prep and ONE BOWL.
The recipe is naturally very low in sugar and could be omitted completely, to be honest, which makes this banana bread suitable for a healthy breakfast that won't spike your blood sugar! A one bowl dish with ingredients I already have at home that works for breakfast, snack, and dessert?! Yep, its perfect!
I actually tested the recipe with 2 flax eggs instead of regular eggs (even though i'm not vegan) and was pleasantly surprised to discover that the result is pretty much the same with the exception of the batter being slightly darker from the flax.
What I love most about this recipe is how versatile it is. I use it as a base and switch up the 'flavor'. Some suggestions: topped with chocolate chips (as shown), swirled with cinnamon, and I recently even made a PB&J version.
5 Flavor Upgrades
1. After making the batter, top with dark chocolate chips and lightly press inside
1. Create a double burner by placing a pot of water on the stove and glass bowl on top
2. Melt dark chocolate (I like 70% or darker) in the glass bowl with a little dollop of coconut oil
3. Once melted, add half the banana bread batter to the bowl of melted chocolate and mix
4. Scoop two spoonfuls of white batter to baking tin and then two spoonfulls of brown batter. Use a chopstick to swirl the two together making a marble effect
1. Add 3 TBS coconut oil, 1.5 tsp cinnamon, and 3 TBS coconut sugar to a small bowl and mix
2. As you scoop your banana bread into baking tin, randomly place dollops of cinnamon mix in the batter and use chopstick to swirl into marble effect
1. In a bowl combine, 1/3 cup oats with 1 tsp ghee/coconut oil, 1 TBS oat milk, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1 tsp of monk fruit/coconut sugar. ⠀
2. After transferring your banana bread batter to a baking tin top with the crumble and lightly press into batter.
1. Chop up freeze dried strawberries and mix in with banana bread batter
2. Transfer batter to baking tin and place random dollops of Peanut Butter throughout the tin
3. Top with more freeze dried strawberries and PB swirls on the top
I'm sure there are other amazing additions that could boost this recipe that really doesn't need a boost (now that i write this to you i'm thinking blueberry and lemon-zest mmm - will have to try that out next time). BUT without further ado, here is my favorite go-to banana bread recipe.
Banana Bread (GF, DF, RSF, V Option)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 3 medium bananas, mashed ⠀ - 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (or tahini) - 1 tsp vanilla ⠀ - 2 (flax*) eggs ⠀ - 1/4 cup monkfruit/coconut sugar ⠀ - 1.5 cup oat flour ⠀ - 1 cup oats ⠀ - 1 tsp baking soda ⠀ - 1/4 tsp salt ⠀
METHOD ⠀ 1. Preheat oven to 175 C ⠀ 2. Add bananas, coconut oil, vanilla, and sugar to a bowl and mix. ⠀ 3. Add oats, oat flour, baking soda, and salt. Combine. ⠀ 4. Transfer to lined/oiled baking tin and bake for 40 min ⠀ 5. Remove and let cool before slicing
*To make one flax egg, combine 1 TBS of ground flax seeds with 3 TBS of warm water and let sit for 5-10 minutes.